A Hat in Time - Review

a hat in time

A Hat in Time - Review

Actually, it is a game that I enjoy playing very much and I would like to write a very long article about it, but believe me, I don't exactly know how to start this piece, because it is one of the games that have managed to become one of the few games I have played and really enjoyed for long periods recently.

Anyway, now I want to stop complaining about writing and start reviewing the game, but before that, I will start with a few facts about the game.

Short Information About A Hat in Time

A Hat in Time started as a Kickstarter project in 2014 and first opened its beta version to users in 2015, and the first time the game was played with people other than the developers was during this beta test in 2015. Apparently, the beta version attracted quite a bit of interest, as the game took its place among the most anticipated games and was published on many platforms in 2017 by the game company Gears for Breakfast.

Considering that most Kickstarter projects generally do not achieve such good results, we can say that A Hat in Time achieved quite a great success.

Game Information

Release Date
October 5, 2017
Publisher
Gears for Breakfast
Platforms
Playstation 4, XBox One, Windows, Mac OS, Nintendo Switch
Game Engine
Unreal Engine 3
Expansion Packs
Seal of Deal, Nyakuze Metro

a hat in time

My A Hat in Time Review

When you first start the game, there is a cinematic showing that we are on a spaceship, and during an attack on our spaceship, the hourglasses we use as fuel are stolen/scattered outside through a broken window in the ship. The story of the game begins here and our character comes to a place called Mafia Town to collect the lost hourglasses and starts collecting the hourglasses by completing the missions here.

Of course, collecting these hourglasses is not so easy, we need to fight the mafia members wandering around, two rival film studios, and bosses to complete the tasks.

If you are playing with the DLCs, you have to sign a pact with a devil and then fulfill this devil's assignments, and in the end (Spoiler) you rearrange this agreement as you like and outsmart the devil.

Although the game visually looks a bit childish, I can say that in terms of story and gameplay it actually also appeals to adults. I can say that you can play it when you are bored and have a lot of fun.

As can be understood from the name of the game, our character uses the hat on their head to complete tasks, each hat has its own unique power and we use these special powers to pass stages and complete assignments. Since we cannot use all the hats at the same time and can only switch between up to 3 hats at the same time in the game, the difficulty balance of the game doesn’t break even after collecting all the hats and the game turns into a very fun experience that manages to challenge us from time to time. (Although the game somewhat resembles the Mario series, it is not exactly the same and there are many subtle differences that distinguish A Hat in Time from the Mario series.)

The songs and character voices in the game are so compatible and cute that sometimes you can find yourself sitting on benches in the city just watching the surroundings.

Actually, I do not want to extend this article much more, and want to leave you alone with the gameplay video of the game.

My Score for the Game: 🎮🎮🎮🎮🎮🎮🎮

Game Trailer


Game Download/Purchase Links


Note: I played the Nintendo Switch version of the game and have never played it on the PC, but I can say that I never had any problems while playing on Nintendo, and considering how rare this type of game is on PC, it would be even more fun to play the game with higher FPS on PC.

Note: Playing on console was definitely not bad, especially since I spent a lot of time playing this game whenever I was bored. The DLCs were very fun, I definitely recommend you to play with the DLCs.