MacBook Pro 16-inch 2019 i9 Review

MacBook Pro 16

MacBook Pro 16-inch 2019 i9 Review

Hello everyone, today I will try to review a device I got my hands on as thoroughly as I can, talk about its pros and cons for me, and try to give some information about its hardware. Let's start our article, enjoy reading.

After using a Windows computer for a long time, I really wanted to switch to the Mac side. As a game developer, we use a lot of design programs as well as many software tools, and since my Windows computer was getting a bit old, it was starting to fall short for me. 

Software Aspect Review

One of the most important points for me was that the programs I use could run stably, and I can say that Mac OS is quite successful in this regard.

If I have to list the programs I use the most during the day:

  • Unity
  • Blender
  • Visual Studio & Visual Studio Code
  • Adobe Photoshop
  • Adobe Illustrator
  • Adobe XD
  • Adobe After Effect
In addition to these, Arduino IDE and Processing are programs I use as a hobby.
Now I'd like to share a few of my thoughts about these programs.

When using Windows, Unity could occasionally give me nightmare scenarios, like the program not responding suddenly while experimenting on projects, or taking a long time to open. I experienced many problems, but with the MacBook, Unity works quite efficiently and I can say the opening time is significantly shorter. Occasional crashes still happen to me, but these crashes are generally due to my own software or coding mistakes rather than the device itself.

However, I can comfortably say that in the part where you build your game, the Mac is definitely much faster.

For Blender, even though the render time is very good on the Mac, due to the keyboard layout honestly a Windows computer would win this comparison for me. It took me quite a while to get used to the shortcut keys, and compared to a normal Windows computer, adjusting the view is harder on the Mac because of the Mac shortcuts that get in between some buttons, and the lack of numeric keys on the right side. 

For Visual Studio and VS Code, I can say that opening large codebases is very fast. Especially Visual Studio, even though it is made by Windows, on Windows devices the startup time takes very long in my opinion, and creating a new project takes a significant amount of time. However, on the Mac, I have not encountered such a problem at all.

I can say that Adobe programs work very stably with Mac, but for Photoshop, XD, and Illustrator it's not a huge difference, but you can notice a difference in After Effects when it comes to rendering.

I actually want to end the software review here, and in the remainder of the review, give some information about the hardware.

Gaming Performance

Since I am studying game design and also develop and share my own games, I need to play a lot of games from time to time (no, not just my own games). I need to play new games to see how new mechanics or existing mechanics work, but Mac clearly shows that it is not a gaming computer when it comes to gaming.

You can access many games through Steam but you cannot play these games very efficiently. In League of Legends, you get an average FPS between 200 - 500, but it heats up much more than a normal Windows computer.
Normally, when you render something with a visual processing program, it doesn't heat up this much, but in games it definitely heats up more than it should.
So if you are someone who likes to play games, the Mac is definitely not for you.

Hardware Information

I can say that the device is quite well-equipped in terms of hardware. If I had to list the rough specs:
  • 16Gb RAM
  • 1 TB SSD
  • i9 Intel Processor
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
  • Touchbar
  • Fingerprint reader
  • 4 Thunderbolt Ports
  • Retina 4k Screen
  • 100 Watt fast charging
  • 4.8 Ghz
In terms of hardware and design, I can say I really like the device, and even though it has been almost 3 months since I got it, it hasn't let me down in terms of hardware so far.

Thanks to 16 GB GDDR6 RAM, any video editing program works very well, and with the Touchbar, you can change the currently playing song while using any program, or if the program you are using supports the Touchbar, you can perform many actions much more comfortably.

While writing, you can quickly correct your typos thanks to the word suggestions that appear on the Touchbar, and if you want, with some apps you can download for the Touchbar, you can even raise a pet - a character similar to the virtual pets we used to take care of as kids.

The fingerprint reader is one of my favorite features on the device. When turning on the device or logging into your website account, you can use this feature to log in directly and quickly without having to deal with passwords.

In terms of charging, it gets fully charged in about 4 hours, and during normal use, it lasts for about 20 hours until the battery runs out.

The Thunderbolt ports are actually very good, but they were a bit problematic for me at first. Although they can transfer data very quickly, since all my devices at home use USB ports, I had to wait a week for a Thunderbolt adapter to arrive.

By the way, the hardware part that impressed me the most was definitely the Touchpad. On any Windows computer, it is almost impossible to do anything with the Touchpad – it's very hard to use. But Apple has definitely solved this problem, as from the day I got the laptop until now, I hardly use a mouse except in 3D modeling programs and Unity.

Product Photos

MacBook Pro 16

MacBook Pro 16