Solution to Raspberry Ubuntu 20.10 Video Error Code 102630

Raspberry Ubuntu 102630 Error


Solution to Raspberry Ubuntu 20.10 Firefox 102630 Error Code

 Hello friends, from time to time I write posts about Raspberry Pi and this time I wanted to share the solution to an error I encountered. 

Normally, I was using my Raspberry device with Raspbian, but since I couldn’t get rid of the black lines remaining in the corners on my home TV and monitor, I wanted to install a new operating system and saw that my device was fully compatible with Ubuntu 20.10 desktop model, so I installed it right away and started using it happily.

To be honest, compared to Raspbian which is developed for Raspberry, Ubuntu is more stable and has more applications. Anyway, I thought I’d watch a movie. Those of you who have used Linux before know that it comes with Firefox, and so I decided to watch it with Firefox, but I saw that mp4 videos loaded on the site wouldn’t play. When I tried to watch videos on YouTube, there were sound problems and freezes as well.

I researched how to solve the video playback problem on sites and found this solution on a site called askubuntu.com. Come to the terminal and type:

sudo apt install libavcodec-extra

It said the problem would be solved after entering the command, and I tried it. Yes, my problem was solved, I could now watch videos with extreme lag and silently. Of course, did I give up? No, I did some more research and learned that Firefox on Raspberry devices does not use hardware acceleration, only Chrome browser does this.

I found a solution to my problem, but unfortunately not with Firefox, but with Chrome. After I downloaded Chrome / Chromium to my device, I have not seen any lag or sound distortion in the videos so far.

So as you understand, the solution to this problem is to download a Chrome-based browser for Raspberry.

Note: After you download and install Chrome, if you also install the ad-blocking software called "UBlock", you will get much better performance on websites.

To go to the UBlock add-on page, click here.

Note 2: If you have installed Chrome and entered the above code in the terminal, but still cannot play mp4 videos, your problem will be solved if you install the h264ify add-on to your Chrome browser.

To go to the h264ify add-on page, click here.