What is Crocotile 3D?

Crocotile 3D


Crocotile 3D

 Hello friends, today I will talk to you about a program that you can use to make Low Poly and a bit of Pixel Art 3D models. The name of our program is Crocotile 3D, let's start getting to know the program.


Crocotile 3D Editor


What is Crocotile 3D? & For What Purpose Can It Be Used?

We can say that Crocotile 3D is a 3D modeling engine, but actually it's not exactly so, and as its creator also prefers to call it a level editor rather than a 3D modeling engine, out of respect to the creator, let's call it a level editor.

If you ask "What is a Level Editor?", level editors are editors where you can design levels and maps, or if you are dealing with cinema, scenes.

Let's go back to the question What is Crocotile 3D and continue. Crocotile 3D is a program that allows us to create Low Poly, that is, low-detail 3D models, and also lets us design Low Poly scenes.

From this point on, I will write a little of my own opinion because this program can be used for many purposes, or not at all. If you ask how so, I can say that this program has a pretty simple structure and is useful, but you can only make rather simple models according to its intended purpose and cannot do detailed work.

I can say that it is quite successful in scene design and even sometimes, even if you put 2D objects in the scene without editing or turning them into 3D, it can give you a 3D feeling just by playing with the camera angle, but I can't say it's really a program you can use in the game industry.

I don't think you can make a game beyond Doom if you use the objects you prepared with Crocotile 3D in the game industry.


Doom

Of course, this does not mean that nice game models cannot be made; if you spend enough time on it, you can make quite nice and simple Low Poly and Pixel Art games.

Since the program inherently turns 2D tilesets you have previously prepared into 3D with a drag-and-drop logic, you are not really producing a real 3D object; you are combining 2D objects drawn from all sides and achieving a 3D look. That's why I say you can make games like Doom.

So if this program isn't very good for games, what else could it be used for? If you ask, you can use it as a training program to understand the 3D logic, even in a simple way. I think you can understand the UV Map part in real 3D models much better with the models you prepare in this program, because since you create your models here from tilesets, as you create your own tilesets, you're actually creating the UV Map part like in other programs, so I think this would be good for educational purposes.

Also, if you are someone who deals with Pixel Art and want to see your 2D Pixel drawings in 3D, you can benefit from Crocotile 3D. (Although MagicaVoxel may be more useful..)

You can get this application from Steam for about 40, or if you want to use it without buying, you can download it from the official website, but as long as you don't purchase it, you cannot save or export your work.

Crocotile 3D - Official Website

Crocotile 3D - Steam

Crocotile 3D Introduction Video